I’m back on the certification train. I had studied for the CCNP ROUTE a while back and attempted the written test in August 2011. Unfortunately, I failed that exam.
I have taken a break from certification study to learn about other technologies such as Exchange 2010, Microsoft Virtualization and Active Directory.
This time around I’ve written down my plan to pass ROUTE. I listened in on Ed Tittel’s webinar on creating a study plan for certifications so I wrote down my personal and career goals. Writing down both goals gave me a good overview of what I need to do to acquire more knowledge and obtain a certification while living my personal life.
I’ll go over my specific plan which I drew on my moleskin:
- Print out the blueprint – be sure to master each line in the blueprint
- Read OCG – my study plan for ROUTE is to read through the Official Certification Guide. I feel that I would learn a lot more because of the amount of information and depth.
- To create a timeline, I wanted to dedicate a chapter each week with 1.5 hours of uninterrupted reading time.
- Before getting into the book I will use the Boson practice exam to see where I’m at with my knowledge.
- With the practice exam results I will start focusing on my weak areas first.
- While reading, I will write down notes and mark the book for important topics to remember.
- I must remember to not rush through this process and really take in the material.
- An important part of my studying is doing a lot of labbing with GNS3 and physical hardware. For labs, I will be using the Cisco ROUTE Lab Manual.
- After each chapter I will answer the chapter quizes. If I don’t score over 90% then I must go back and review the material, retake the chapter quiz and score over 90% before moving forward.
- I’ll go back and look at the blueprint to make sure I master each item.
- As I go through each chapter I will publish my notes here on this blog.
- After finishing the whole book and labs I will do the Boson practice exam again to see if my score as improved. If I don’t score over 90% I will go back to my weak areas and do more studying until I score over 90%.
- After I am happy with my practice test results I will take the real exam 😉
There you have it! That’s my plan. I’ll probably revise it along the way to fit my needs but that’s what I’ll be working off of for the next few months.
What is your study plan?